Firmware updates are necessary to ensure the maximum output from the technical devices. In case you own a Netgear router, then know that you can update the firmware on your router by accessing the Netgear Nighthawk login page. This guide is packed with all the information that is required for firmware updates on your Netgear router. Thus, stick to reading.
Why Firmware Updates are Necessary?
Firmware is software written in the hardware of your Netgear router which helps it perform its basic functions. The simple process of firmware update will enhance your device’s performance. With advancements in technology, new features keep being released in the market. But it is not feasible to buy new devices every now and then to keep up with the technology. Firmware updates come to the rescue here. By updating your device, new features also get added to the device, Thus it always remains competitive with the latest devices. Apart from this, firmware updates improve the device’s security along with bug fixing.
Now that you know how important it is to keep your Netgear router updated, let us get to the process using which you can update your router.
How to Update Netgear Router Firmware?
Netgear router firmware update process is very simple. Simply follow the below-given steps carefully and get your devices updated like a pro.
Netgear Router Firmware Update via Nighthawk App
We shall first discuss Netgear router firmware updates using the Nighthawk app. Here is the process:
- Unlock your smartphone.
- Download the Nighthawk app by heading to the Play Store or App Store.
- Once it is installed, tap on its icon and launch it.
- As soon as the Nighthawk app gets loaded, you will be prompted to enter login details.
- Enter the Netgear router login username and password to proceed further. Know that the credentials are case-sensitive, thus avoiding making any typing errors.
- Tapping on Sign in will take you to the Netgear dashboard.
- Navigate to the Router Settings page and scroll down.
- Tapping on Check for Updates option will let you know if new firmware updates are available for your device.
- Tap on Update if you see new firmware updates ready.
Note: It is suggested that you do not interrupt the firmware update process. Do not open any other app or go offline. This may corrupt the firmware rendering your device of no use.
Manually Update Netgear Router Firmware
You can also update the Netgear router firmware using the manual method wherein you got to access the Netgear web-based interface and get to its settings. The entire process is given below:
- Power up your PC.
- Visit Netgear’s official website on a web browser.
- Search for the latest firmware updates for the respective router model number that you own in the Downloads section.
- If the firmware update is available, then download it and save it in any safe location on your PC.
- Using the same web browser, open the routerlogin.net page.
- On the Netgear login page, enter the admin username and password. As the credentials are case-sensitive, make sure that the Caps Lock key is not pressed.
- Head toward the router settings page.
- Now select the Advanced option.
- Under advanced, you got to choose the Administration option.
- Next, you need to select Router Update or Firmware Update. This may vary from router to router.
- Once you click on the Browse button, you will need to navigate to the firmware update file that was earlier downloaded. Click on the file to select it. Ensure selecting the correct file.
- The next button that you need to click on is the Update button.
- The Netgear router firmware update process will begin and should take not more than 2 minutes.
Make sure that do not open a new tab or turn off the device while the firmware update is going on.
As soon as the firmware is updated, check the settings page for the firmware version to make certain that your router is updated to the latest version.
The Closing Note
So you learned about how vital it is to update firmware on Netgear routers. You also got acquainted with the firmware update process. It is recommended to keep a check on such updates on a regular basis. As soon as you find a new update ready for your router, log in to Nighthawk router and get it updated.